Saturday, December 29, 2012
Apple-Almond Muffins, Gigantor-Style in an RV
Apple-Almond Muffins, Gigantor-Style
(makes 6 huge freaking muffins)
1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large apples, peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a jumbo muffin pan with jumbo liners or spray with non-stick spray...or be on the safe side, like I did, and do both.
2. Combine all the streusel topping ingredients together in a small bowl and cut together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter with sugars, add vanilla, eggs and buttermilk and beat until smooth. If you don't have a stand mixer, use a hand mixer. If you don't have a hand mixer...get one!
4. In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, including the spices together. Add dry to wet and mix until just combined...don't over mix.
5. Fold in grated apples and chopped almonds.
6. Spoon batter into lined or sprayed muffin cups (or both, like I did)...divide among six. It will fill them up...and that's ok...you want that!
7. Top each muffin with steusel topping...pile it on if you have to...don't skimp on it.
8. Bake these suckers at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into each one pulls out clean.
9. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. EAT THEM!! FREEZE THEM!!
Anyhow...I hope you enjoy...PEACE!