Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Happy Birthday to Ralph in an RV
Anyhow...yesterday, December 31st, was Ralph's birthday. I know that Ralph is in his mid-60's. I do not know exactly how old Ralph is. I know that Ralph's all-time favorite meal is ham. We celebrated Ralph's birthday, RV-style.
Baked Lava's Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
***makes 6 jumbo cupcakes and a bonus 9x9 cake***
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons apple pie spice (I use Penzey's brand)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil (use applesauce if you are looking for something without oil)
1 teaspoon double strength vanilla (I use Watkins brand)
1 teaspoon rum extract
2-3 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup drained crushed pineapple
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins (if I would have had them on hand, I would have used mixed raisins, but gold raisins would be awesome, too)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare jumbo muffin pan by putting in paper liners or using a non-stick spray. If you use the spray, I would probably go ahead and flour them, too, just so they don't stick. Grease and flour a 9x9 inch glass cake pan, too...you'll need it.
3. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, apple pie spice, ginger, nutmeg and salt together into a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Combine sugar, eggs, oil (or applesauce, if that's what you're using) and extracts in a large bowl. Beat until thoroughly combined.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined...don't over mix.
6. Stir in carrots, pineapple, coconut and raisins.
7. Fill muffin cups with batter about 7/8's full. Pour remaining batter into the 9x9 cake pan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center pulls out clean. The cake will take a bit longer...mine took around 50 minutes to bake. Just keep an eye on it and keep checking it.
9. When the cakes are done, remove from oven and cool in muffin pan for 15 minutes. Remove from muffin pan and cool completely.
10. Frost those suckers with....
Cream Cheese Frosting
***This is a basic recipe that I tweaked somewhat***
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon rum extract
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
A couple of grates of fresh nutmeg
1. Combine everything and beat together. You may need more than 2 cups of powdered sugar to get to the consistency you want, but that's all I needed was 2 cups.
The frosting is a very forgiving recipe and doesn't need to be precise. Just play around with it. If you don't have rum extract, use vanilla. Nothing is written in stone. Fool around with the ingredients and have fun with it.
I will say that my carrot cake recipe is kick-ass and it is the right amount of sweet versus the other ingredients. I did not add nuts because...well...there are some of us that have a hard time eating nuts. If you want nuts, add 1/2 cup of chopped-whatever-you-want-to-add...walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts would be awesome, too. Expensive, but awesome.
Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this recipe...PEACE!